Do you want to be in the running for a great job in sport, exercise, and fitness? All sports performers want to be the best they can be, and participation in sport continues to grow. Ever wondered what makes winners in the top league so successful, or why some sportspeople fall apart under pressure? This broad sports and fitness course at City College Plymouth will teach you a range of subjects in sports, fitness, and the outdoor activity industries. There will also be great opportunities to complete additional qualifications, take part in work experience and go on loads of trips and visits. This year, our students got to help out at the Plymouth 10K! You will gain a great understanding of what jobs are available within the industry and we’ll help you decide what employment route you want to follow to get the sports job or fitness industry role of your dreams.
The course is split into six units – two compulsory core units and four specialist units:
- body in sport
- sport leadership
- practical sport
- instructing exercise and fitness
- health safety and injury
- planning and leading sporting activities
Additional qualifications you can achieve include:
- CYQ – Introductory Certificate in Exercise and Fitness Instructing
- English Sports Trust -Junior Sports Leadership Award
- FA Level One Coaching Award
- OCN – Nutrition Awards
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades 3-1 (D-F), including a 3 (D) in English
- a BTEC first certificate/introductory diploma at merit level
- an NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- successful completion of the PLP/Prince’s Trust programme
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
Assessment will be through observation and project work throughout the course. There will also be externally assessed units via either an exam or project
On successful completion you may progress to:
- the level 3 course in sport at the College
- employment within the sports, fitness and leisure industries.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
Course Code: DSE
A Full Course Fee: Not applicable to this course
B Reduced Course Fee (for those in receipt of qualifying benefits): Not applicable to this course
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.