Supply Chain Warehouse Operative
Course Code: AP2
Subject area: Business, Management & HR
Awarding body: City & Guilds
Course type: Full-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: 13 months
When you'll study: Various days and times
Warehouse operatives work in a variety of warehouse environments. Work activities include taking deliveries, checking for damaged/missing items, storing goods, moving stock by various methods, picking/packing orders, loading goods for dispatch, maintaining stock records and documentation, and cleaning. They are required to safely use a range of equipment, machinery and vehicles, as relevant to their role and setting. This could include mechanical racking systems, materials handling equipment (MHE) or forklift trucks.
Warehouse operatives communicate with a wide range of people and customers. They have a passion to meet customers’ expectations by providing a quality service that encourages repeat business. Individuals in this role are highly competent in using industry-recognised systems, associated services and will be able to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
On this Apprenticeship, you will learn to:
- Operate and handle equipment safely and efficiently as required for their role, such as forklift trucks, high reach trucks, powered pallet trucks or man up trucks; manoeuvre vehicles in restricted spaces; safely use and position vehicle fitted equipment such as mirror requirements.
- Comply with appropriate rules, regulations and processes for safely and efficiently moving, handling, packing and unpacking different items, both manually and using relevant equipment (such as MHE, vehicle and delivery systems); understand consequences of incorrect use.
- Work individually and as part of a team to safely move and handle objects; maintain a high level of housekeeping and manage waste effectively; know where to find instructions or guidance; check for damaged or missing items as appropriate; take responsibility for maintaining health, safety and security of people at all times.
- Safely and efficiently load and unload items into and from vehicles, buildings, containers, lift vans, crates and/or boxes; use appropriate MHE or machinery where necessary; ensure items are safely and efficiently packed, assembled and/or disassembled as appropriate.
- Select, prepare and use packaging materials appropriate to the job efficiently and in a way which reduces waste, costs and environmental impact; taking into consideration the item(s) to be moved, and their current and final destinations.
- Use IT applications and other relevant technology and systems, including warehousing management, data capture, radio and barcoding systems, to ensure the safe and efficient processing of goods.
Acceptance on this Apprenticeship is via initial assessment.
Apprentices without Level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for Level 2 English and maths prior to taking the end-point assessment.
On successful completion, you may wish to continue your studies by moving onto a higher level Apprenticeship or course. You could also benefit from greatly enhanced job opportunities, whether with your current employer or elsewhere.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.