Are you a mechanic, or would you like to train for a job as a mechanic or vehicle repair technician? The level 3 IMIAL Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair at City College Plymouth could be the right choice for you. This course is aimed at building on the level 2 and introducing you to the more complex systems of today. Your training will cover the operation and diagnosis of vehicle systems including the engine, chassis, electrics and transmission. You’ll undertake research projects which enable you to become more autonomous and able to work on your own initiative with support and guidance coming from the tutor.
The course content will include:
- knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle engine faults
- skills in diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle engine faults
- knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle chassis system faults
- skills in diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle chassis system faults
- knowledge of diagnosis and recitification of light vehicle transmission and driveline faults
- knowledge of how to identify and agree motor vehicle customer service
- skills to identify and agree motor vehicle customer service needs
- knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of vehicle auxiliary electrical faults
- skills in diagnosing and rectifiying vehicle auxiliary electrical faults.
Entry is normally dependent on successful completion of the level 2 programme, but in some circumstances direct entry is accepted.
You will be assessed through a variety of practical tasks and assessments, and online and paper exams.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- a further level 3 automotive course at the College
- an Apprenticeship
- employment in the industry.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.