Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
Course Code: VMPT1
Subject area: Engineering, Automotive & Marine
Awarding body: IMIAL
Course type: Part-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: One year
When you'll study: Mondays or Tuesdays, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Do you want to be a qualified mechanic or vehicle technician? City College Plymouth offers the IMIAL course in vehicle maintenance and repair as a great progression route from the level 1 course for those who are aged 19 and over. It is a valued qualification that may help lead to employment, upon where the VCQ element can then be completed for those wishing to become qualified technicians. This level two qualification covers the technical needs for today’s motor vehicle repair industry, including the diagnosis of non-complex system faults. It provides essential knowledge for service technicians working on light vehicles (cars and vans) in all types of garages, dealerships, and maintenance depots. The course duration is two years if you have no experience and one year if you are experienced.
This course involves studying both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- knowledge of health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- skills in health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- knowledge of support for job roles in the automotive work environment
- skills in supporting job roles in the automotive work environment
- knowledge of materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- skills in materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- knowledge of light vehicle engine, mechanical, lubrication and cooling system units and components
- knowledge of light vehicle fuel, ignition, air and exhaust system units and components
- knowledge of removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- skills in removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- knowledge of removing and replacing light vehicle chasiss units and components
- skills in removing and replacing light vehicle chasiss units and components
- knowledge of inspecting light vehicles using prescribed methods
- skills in inspecting light vehicles using prescribed methods
- skills in removing and replacing light vehicle driveline units and components
- knowledge of routine light vehicle maintenance
- skills in routine light vehicle maintenance.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades 3-1 (D-F), including grade 3 (D) in English, maths and science, or a level 1 diploma at merit grade
- a BTEC foundation diploma in a related subject
- an NVQ level 1/technical certificate in a related subject
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
You will be assessed through a variety of practical tasks and assessments, and online and paper exams.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- the level 3 Vehicle Maintenance and Repair course at the College
- an Apprenticeship
- employment in the industry.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2017/18 (August 2017 – July 2018). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2018/19.
Course Code: VMPT1
A Full Course Fee: £999
B Reduced Course Fee (for eligible students): £0
C Ancillary course costs (ie books and equipment): Not applicable to this course
D Advanced Learner Loan Fee: Not applicable to this course
|How old are you?||How much will you pay?|
|16 - 18|
|19 - 23||may be free).(Note: If you do not have a level 2 qualification, this course|
Please note fees are quoted for one year only.