Course Code: UF2524, UX2524
Subject area: Business, Management & HR
Awarding body: University of Plymouth
Qualification: Foundation Degree
Course type: Full-time, Part-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: Two years (full-time), two years (part-time intensive) or three years (part-time)
When you'll study: Wednesdays, 9.30pm - 5.30pm (part-time)
This Foundation Degree is designed to help you become a qualified, employment-ready graduate, who can play a leading role in a wide range of business-related careers. The range of subjects covered has a clear emphasis on developing your management skills and knowledge relevant to the world of work – as well as making practical links between theory and the demands of modern day management.
This includes employer involvement and preparation for progression to bachelor’s degree(s) with honours. This clear and planned integration within a single award, underpinned by work-based learning, makes the award distinctive. Once you have completed the 2 years at the college, you then have 6 different progression routes at the University of Plymouth.
You will have the opportunity to work with international business in Europe’s economic centre, Berlin. As part of an intercultural partnership between City College and German college, OSZ Burowirkshaft 1, this fully funded 12 day exchange will equip you with the knowledge and experience you need to work in the global business environment.
For more information about this course please read the Programme Quality Handbook which contains programme specifications and module information.
Programme Leader: Sharon Brooks, CMgr MCMI
Programme Director CMI: Karen Sweeting, CMgr MCMI
The course includes the following subjects:
Stage 1 Modules:
- organisational behaviour- structure, culture, leadership, management, teams – roles and group development, personality, change management
- employability skills- this module enables learners to research issues relating to real working environment
- marketing- 4Ps or 7Ps, marketing plans and processes and marketing communications
- managing knowledge and information- data, information and knowledge management, rational and intuitive decision making and IT systems
- economic environment- macro and micro economics- balance of payments, global economy, inflation, interest rates, fiscal and monetary policies, demand and supply, business environment
- business finance- cash flow, profit and loss, balance sheets, ratios, budgeting and costing.
Stage 2 Modules:
- project management- phases of project planning, critical paths, risk management, Gantt chart, project deliverables and work breakdown structure and project triangle
- developing research practice- qualitative and quantitative methods, surveys, interviews, focus groups, forecasting, regression, correlation etc.
- managing people- performance management, recruitment and selection, training and development
- e-business for management decision making
- operations management- product and process design, 5 performance objectives, capacity management, inventory and supply chain management, quality planning and control, failure prevention, Six Sigma, lean
- enterprise and innovation- business strategy, PEST LEE & SWOT, Porter’s 5 Forces, value chain and enterprise within business.
We welcome applications from those who have all of the following:
- 32 UCAS tariff points
- four GCSEs at grades 4 (C) or above, to include English and maths
- equivalent qualifications
- relevant work experience.
Should entry requirements not be met then individual cases will be considered.
Assessment will be through a combination of individual reports, presentations, group work, seminar-led sessions, case studies, tests and research projects.
On successful completion of this course, you may be able to progress to:
- the final year of the BSc (Hons) Business Management, BA (Hons) Business, BSc (Hons) Management Practice, BA (Hons) Human Resource Management or BA (Hons) International Management degrees at the University of Plymouth
- the one year BA (Hons) International Trade and Operations Management top-up degree at the University of Plymouth
- for international students with English as a second language, the one year BA (Hons) Business Management with Business English top-up degree at the University of Plymouth.
- a wide range of careers in business, management, personnel, marketing, finance, accounting and public administration.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.