If you’re looking for an exciting, rewarding career in travel and tourism, then this is the course for you! Whether you want to work as a member of cabin crew, on board a cruise ship, as a holiday representative, or set up your own business, this extended diploma will provide you with a wide appreciation of the whole travel and tourism environment. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit New York in year one (2018), a European destination in year two (2019) and, for the right students, the chance to complete a one month work placement in Lapland (2018). You’ll study topics such as working overseas, customer service, retail travel operations, and long haul and European destinations, as well as completing a work placement. In previous years, we have been involved with UK Inbound and MTV. Successful completion of the two year course will provide you with a qualification which is the equivalent of three A Levels, enabling you to continue to university, a higher level Apprenticeship or employment.
The course covers the following subjects:
- investigating travel and tourism
- customer service
- European/worldwide and UK destinations
- holiday representatives
- conferencing and events
- marketing in travel and tourism.
In year one of the course, you will be going on visits to Paignton Zoo and the National Marine Aquarium. You will also be visiting Flybe Academy and completing a first aid course. In year two, you will be visiting the World Travel Market in London. There is also the opportunity to take part in the NCS leadership course. In both years, there will be optional visits at an additional cost.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this course you will need one of the following:
- five GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C), including English and maths
- a BTEC first diploma
- an NVQ level 2/technical certificate
- successful completion of an Apprenticeship course
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
This course is assessed entirely by coursework. There are no exams.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- the Foundation Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management at the College
- a BA (Hons) degree at a range of universities
- a wide range of careers within the travel and tourism industry
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2018/19 (August 2018 – July 2019). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2019/20.
"For anyone who is thinking of studying travel and tourism at the College I say go for it! The course gives you so many different opportunities and opens so many doors."Read Success Story