Course Code: ACS2
Subject area: Hospitality & Catering
Awarding body: City & Guilds
Qualification: Certificate, City & Guilds
Course type: FREE (Eligibility Applies), Part-time
Time of Day: Daytime
Duration: Nine weeks
When you'll study: Wednesdays, 1.00pm - 6.00pm
This course is aimed at those who want to begin a career in the catering and hospitality industries, or those who want to build a solid foundation of knowledge to move on to further study. You’ll learn the skills and knowledge needed to work in these traditional areas, as well as emerging industries. You may be hoping to work in the service industry, or you’re part of the new generation of entrepreneurs who need business start-up skills for your ideas. Whatever your dreams, we can help you achieve them!
The course covers the following areas:
- food safety in catering
- developing skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
- health and safety in catering and hospitality
- healthier food and special diets
- catering operations, costs and menu planning
- prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
- prepare and cook meat and offal
- prepare and cook poultry
- prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- produce hot and cold desserts and puddings
- produce paste products
- produce biscuit, cake and sponge products
- produce fermented dough products.
There are no specific entry requirements for the NVQs.
You will be assessed through practical assessments and online testing (food safety).
Upon successful completion you may progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery (Kitchen and Larder) or the Level 3 Diploma in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership at the College.
Fees quoted apply to courses starting in the academic year 2020/21 (August 2020 – July 2021). There may be a slight increase in fees for courses starting 2021/22.
If you are aged 16-18, due to Government funding, tuition fees may not be applicable for your course. (Please note: this does not apply to Foundation Degrees or Access to Higher Education courses, and other courses not eligible for public funding.)
"The lecturers were awesome, and I gained all the essential skills to progress into my chosen career."Read Success Story